The articles in this blog by Central City Opera are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

MADAMA BUTTERFLY Begins Staging

It's official - rehearsals have started for Madama Butterfly! The crew was up at dawn on Wednesday morning to move the set from backstage to the Foundry rehearsal hall.

Moving Butterfly's Set

They seemed to be having a pretty good time.

The Crew

I got the chance to sit in on the first staging rehearsal later that day, and that was a pretty good time as well. Director Catherine Malfitano* expressed her enthusiasm for the project to the cast, stressing the "joyous experience" of the 2005 production. She made sure to mention that this show wasn't just an opportunity to "replicate another Butterfly," but also a chance to make changes and "show [the audience] the complexity of these characters." It was super exciting to hear her speak and to watch the artists get up on their feet for the first time. I won't give any staging secrets away, but I will say that the two hours of rehearsal I got to watch psyched me up for the show. I'm getting excited for the festival! I hope you are, too.

*View Catherine Malfitano's Director's Notes for Madama Butterfly

2 comments:

  1. This is great Lucy! Thanks for all your hard work on this blog. I can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much for blogs in general -- but THIS one I like! Cheers Lucy!

    ReplyDelete